Thursday, December 9, 2010

More Marrow Munchies

Here are two more recipes for those who need things to make with marrows, or zucchini like the American's call it.

Marrow Muffins (I hope you can notice all the m & m's)

1/2 large marrow grated
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup oil or melted butter
1 cup wheatergern
1 cup cake flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 t baking powder
1 t cinnamon
1 1/2 cups nuts (walnuts or pecans)

Mix the dry ingredients, add grated marrow in bits and mix. Mix wet ingredients and add to dry. Don't overmix! Spoon into geased muffin tins and bake at 180 deg C for about 20 minutes. You can ice them with cream cheese icing, but we like them as is.

Then last night I used my summer squashes to make Delicious Jane's salad. I am sure she won't mind me sharing one recipe from her book...it may make you rush out and buy it! I find myself reaching for it often these days as the summer gluts of veggies hit. I didn't use the pomegranate pulp or mangoes. I used peaches instead.

Mix together:

1/4 cup pomegranate concentrate
1/4 cup mango juice
2 T olive oil
1 T whole grain mustard
Salt and pepper
1 thinly sliced red onion

Into bite size pieces:

5 courgettes
5 patty pans
1 small cucumber

Steam squash and then cool.

Mix cucumber with:
1/2 cup shredded basil leaves
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1/2 mango (cubed - I used peaches)
1 fresh red chilli sliced.

Mix squash into salad, pour over dressing and lightly toss til covered...simply divine!

2 comments:

Cath said...

Looks scrumptious, but you banned me from buying a copy, my friend. Here's hoping for my birthday....

:-)

Cath said...

I made this salad for lunch today (minus tomatoes - mine are still green) alongside bread and Mother Hubbard's Paté. It was delicious. I made your peach version.