Monday, April 13, 2009

Rooti's - traditional South African Food

I try and cook from scratch as much as I can. It creates less waste, is healthier and forces me to use what I have in the house.

If I find something in a shop that I like a lot I will practice making it until I get it right. Rooti's are one of these...they are like flour tortillas, but not as dry. Here's how to make them:

Mix together 3 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons oil and 1.5 cups water. Make a smooth dough - I use my bread machine. Roll it into a sausage and cut into equal pieces - about 16.



Brush with some melted butter...This is my 7 year olds best part.



Roll up...



Tie in a knot and allow to "sit" for about 1/2 hr.



Roll it out again trying to keep them as round as you can.



Fry on both sides in butter or oil (very little is needed - they can even be dry fried.) They get all puffy from the butter layer and re-rolling.



Serve with traditional Cape Malay Curry. I used the veggies that I had in the garden - potatoes, beans, carrot, tomatoes and aubergines. You can add meat too.



Yummy Yummy Yummy Yummy

2 comments:

Molly said...

Hello! I found this blog through the SL forum. I made the rootis this last weekend. They were really fun to make with my dd. I knew we wouldn't use all 16 for lunch and didn't know how they would keep--do you know? Anyway, I wrapped the remaining knots of dough in plastic wrap and put them in the fridge. They were great for a quick lunch item a couple days later.

One question, I ended up using close to an extra cup of flour when I kneaded it smooth. (I don't have a bread machine or a mixer.) Then more flour was on the board when I rolled them out before frying them. I didn't like the way the flour stuck and cooked on the outside of the dough (the flour from rolling them out.) Do you have any suggestions for me? Otherwise, they were a huge hit with the entire family. Thanks for sharing!

Now, if you have some really good recipes for rusks....I'd be eternally in your debt. That's one thing I really miss from South Africa.

Paul and Vicki Young said...

Hi Wendy,
I was looking for a rooti recipe and look where I ended up. Also learned a new word. I had no idea Rootie meant blond with dark roots showing. Seems like something I ought to know.