Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Sunday Afternoon...

I have had to think deeply about my lifestyle over the last few months. I am a do-er, I like to get things done, I like to learn new things and be busy. I am not talking about busyness for the sake of busyness, but productive busy.



You will not ever find me wandering shopping centres or going to movies, my busyness is characterized by my family and home. Our garden, and the cooking of the produce takes a lot of my time and making healthy slow food meals pretty much accounts for my time on weekends.
A few weeks ago you would never find me sitting knitting in the garden amongst my chickens, you would not see me on my bed during daylight hours with a book, and you would not find me enjoying "The Sunday Afternoon Walk".
I have had to rethink how much I can actually do without something giving in. My back forced me into these types of considerations...carrying burdens that aren't mine to carry was a biggie, then trying to do too much in my home and garden, rushing (ooh rushing for all it was worth!). The rushing was the first sign that I was trying to simply DO TOO MUCH.
I have been thinking about the fact that "Life Is Not An Emergency" and that I can truly only do a couple of things WELL each day. The Lord has been speaking to me about creating MARGIN in my life to rest in Him, be still and to be present with the people I am with.
My mind is very active and I would find myself listing the things I need to do, planning next weeks schooling, looking ahead to what to plant/cook/sew/knit next and all the time watching the minutes tick by - whilst doing something with my family.

Then came the change - the day I lay on a blanket for a whole day under the boughs of an oak tree and the head knowledge moved to my heart.
Things are different now...have been for a few weeks. I can breathe a little easier knowing that I don't need to rush, life IS NOT an emergency and everything will happen in its time.

11 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

Yes, we can slow down once in a while without the world coming to an end.

And, I found I can get a very good feeling of accomplishment while knitting and crocheting, especially when I see the kids wearing what I have made. :) I'm one of those who can never sit still doing nothing and I have a feeling you are exactly the same.

I hope your back stops giving you problems.

Big hugs,
Lois

africanaussie said...

Maybe God had to intervene in order to get you to slow down. Stop and smell the roses sometimes! Take care and get well soon.

Carol Neelands said...

I know the feeling. Slowing down is really hard for some of us until it is forced upon us.

rosieposie said...

I know what you mean I am taking things much more slowly as much as is possible being a carer and fulltime homeschooling mum, but i made myself ill by trying to do it all and when this happens you end up taking stock and realising that the oven ready meal once in a while won't hurt anybody, the dust can gather, as long as the veg are watered the ones waiting planting can wait for a few days. Ensure that you allow yourself more time to relax - supermum can go back to work tomorrow!

SuperBees said...

Hi Wendy, I'm just like you -- thinking things have to 'get done' and done 'right now' or else 'they won't get done' ... and there's that feeling inside that you described so well. I know exactly what you mean about having to do things that matter, and not to waste time. I think my ulcer acting up recently did the same thing to me as your back has done to you. S-L-O-W down and Smell the Veggies, er, Roses! Love, Susan xxx

SuperBees said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Urban Homestead South Africa said...

Thank you all for your encouraging comments! My children are all such good reminders about taking time for myself. They ahve also picked up more household chores...like here I sit on my blog and they are cleaning the kitchen after dinner - oh yeah!

I have my scans etc on Monday to determine what is wrong - is it purely muscular or is a disc - and from there we can work forward.

Thank you again for your wishes and for letting me know that I am not the only goal orientated get-it-done mum out there :-)

Juanita said...

That's a grand realisation...good for you :-)

Patsy from Illinois said...

When you rush, you cannot enjoy what is around you. Take time to see, hear, touch, taste and smell. God gave us those senses to enjoy His world. God bless.

Sherrin said...

Wow this is so true! Lately I have been thinking I should make it a "goal" to do less and sit with my baby and my toddler. These years will pass so quickly and I don't want to feel like I spent it all rushing from one thing to the next and not enjoying the tiny people God has given me. I also have a chronic back problem and God has used this over and over again to slow me down and consider what is truly important to accomplish, just as he is doing in your life now! Thank you for taking the time to share.

Charmaine said...

Hi Wendy - many times in my life I have been MADE to slow down. Neck surgery (twice!) has been a part of it, so I know the incredible wearing effects of back pain. I have taken a huge step back, given up my successful job and am looking at self-sufficiency, like you, one day at a time. Sometimes it feels like free-fall - but I am hoping to be caught by the Father's Hand. I still have to consciously tell myself to stop rushing - it seems I just stress automatically! Here is something to remember - in Psalm 23, one of the lines says "He MAKETH me to lie down " - the first time I realised the truth of this I was gobsmacked! He is in control!