Monday, December 3, 2012

Kofta = meat on a stick!

Kofta is a fancy name for a Middle Eastern kebab but unlike normal kebabs this is not made with meat cubes but rather minced meat.

Lamb is normally used but as we are trying to include venison in our diet I used what I had being Springbuck mince.

You could also do kofta with chicken mince or beef. If using beef add an egg to the mince mix to bind. The other minces tend to stick together on their own.

In your bowl place 1kg mince of your choice, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, some peper, grated zest of one lemon and 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder. Mix until thoroughly blended.

Take a handful of mince and shape it around a kebab stick. I did 2 per person.

Drizzle an oven dish with olive oil and place them inside. Drizzle the tops of the kofta with oil too and place under a hot grill for about 7 minutes, turn and cook the other side for 7 minutes.

While this is cooking make up a yoghurt dressing. I used chopped mint in this recipe but I think fresh coriander (cilantro) would go well too.



Place some salad leaves on each plate. Slice 1 red onion.

When the kofta are cooked place them on the salad leaves, top with yoghurt and onion and ENJOY!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds delicious - I love cumin. I'll have to give it a try someday. Thanks for posting your recipe!