Sunday, September 5, 2010

Is it a spiral...is it a Ziggurat...is it a Pyramid? No it's a.....

HERB TOWER!

I thought of calling this blog post "Spring Waits For No Woman" but this one was more fun! I am SICK!!! I hate being SICK!! Especially when there is so much to do in the garden!

Nonetheless, at 7 am I was up and planning where to put my herb spiral. Superman and I debated for almost an hour as he "was not going to have a ramshackle stack of bricks" in his garden. So I left it to him to come up with a concept (which he is good at!) and got stuck into the compost heap. (More on that tomorrow!)

Superman and Son (at the expense of Superman's thumb) created a herb tower from left over wood, right outside my kitchen door. It is superb! I am thrilled.

The concept of sunloving hardy herbs at the top, which don't want lots of water, working down to the shade loving water demanding ones at the bottom was brought into the planting of the tower.

All the compost we added was being sifted by myself and one or other of the children and then taken round. We must have used about 10 barrow loads, which should give these herbs a good start in life.

So let the pictures speak for themselves.....










Herbs that were planted
Rosemary
Oriental mustard greens
Golden Sage
Pineapple Sage
Thyme
Watercress
Stevia
Leaf celery
Golden majoram
Peppermint
Rocket
Pansies
Chives
Parsley

Now we wait and see how it grows.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how lovely! A charming herb tower! I'm sure it will look stunning once the plants have filled out a bit. Well done and get well quick!

Dani said...

Hope you feel better soon.

The herb spiral looks amazing - well done to all of you. Very clever shape too - you'll be able to access everything easily.

Very cool!!

Paige said...

Looks good, my friend. Get better soon xx

Grant said...

Cath said ... the above :-)

Chris said...

Looks fantastic, Wendy! I just love the way it is making use of vertical space. You must be so pleased!! A great day's work. Hope you are feeling better soon. :)

Urban Homestead South Africa said...

Thanks everyone...I will let Superman and Son know you give the thumbs up!

Jen said...

That is a great tower. It gives me an idea on some small scrap garden timbers I have.
It is my first time on your blog. I love it.
Im sorry you dont feel well. Get well soon. ~Jen