Friday, September 30, 2011

Simple Seed Saving

There are some who make it a huge priority to save seed from their crops. I truly do see the value in it, and it's on my to do list for one day, but for now I don't have the time or energy. Instead this is what I do....

I only save big seeds. Broad beans were so hard to find this past winter for planting but I had saved enough for about 1 bed. The others I had to phone around to the nurseries to find. This year we have more than we can plant for next season. When we harvest our broad beans and we find big pods, those get set aside for drying. Once dried they are stored away for next winter.

Three plants that I never have to plant again from seed are coriander, borage and rocket...


These self seed all over the garden. Some think borage is a pest, but both the bees and I delight in them popping up all over the place. I also don't mind pulling out young borage plants as they are great for our compost.

With rocket and coriander, I just allow some to go to flower and they will follow the course of nature, make seed and drop them where they do. I am happy for both these plants to pop up where they choose.

Our loffah's didn't do so well this year, but we got a few for sponges and lots of seed for next year, more than we need in fact...

So, here's the thing....if you would like some broad bean or loofah seeds (South African's only) I am happy to send you some. Can I ask that as a "barter" you do the following:

Leave a good frugal tip here (please make sure it is not one I have already), then contact me via my contact form giving me your preference of seed and your address, and I will pop a few off to you in the post. First come, first served...

Thanks!

1 comment:

Kit said...

I'm loving the way that all sorts of things are self-seeding in my herb garden - borage as you say and coriander, but I'm sure there are also some little stevia seedlings coming up, tons of evening primrose and some lemon balm.
I didn't know we could grow loofahs here in SA. I'd love some seeds and growing tips. I'll check out what frugal tips you have and see if I've got anything to contribute!