Thursday, September 1, 2011

Why my dogs love "stock day" and 2 recipes

One of my sweet children asked me: "Surely you are not going to put that picture on your blog?" when this child saw the following picture in the taking....


Well, I did! (blush blush) However this is the reason my dogs love stock day! They know that when I have poured off the liquid and the bones and skin are left, they get the bits and pieces. Our big white dog starts to lick his chops when the delicious stock smells waft through the house...he walks in and nudges me every now and again as if to say: "Done yet mum?"...

My precious baby lamb a.k.a. Lucky lies under my feet the whole time jumping up the moment I move...but then dinner time comes (or breakfast depending on what time I start) and they are satisfied.


I never re-use the beef meat that is left over, it tastes like cardboard after 12 hrs in the stock pot, but the chicken I cook for shorter and can be used in pies or bakes. On Sunday I made a delicious chicken and broccoli bake from the stock chicken. This year I planted sprouting broccoli and purple broccoli and we can cut from the plants at least once a week and I had a nice bowl full to use.

I steamed the broccoli, spiced up the chicken with salt and pepper and made a white sauce with a good dollop of mustard. This was all combined, topped with grated cheese and baked. Served over brown rice it was delicious.

My lemon tree is full of lemons...my first tree died in the transplant from pot to ground, but this one, in a pot, is doing fabulously.

I found a delicious recipe on a young girls blog who is friends with my daughter....

And because hers looks so much better than mine did, you can pop over to Beautiful Girlhood to take a look at the picture and get the recipe....it was very yummy.

3 comments:

Tanya Murray said...

My dogs love the stock leavings too. It must be so rich and yummy coming from the bones.

Lois Evensen said...

The dogs help us cook here, too. In fact, I have to look before I take a step in the kitchen. :)

AJK said...

Your meals look fabulous! You are so amazing what you can accomplish with your hands! My meals are decent, but they don't look that scrumptious.