Saturday, February 4, 2012

Getting ready for the changing seasons.

It's time to get ready for the next season here at our little urban homestead. We have slowly been removing spent plants like tomatoes and corn and gooseberry bushes and digging in the compost from our heaps.


Our sunflowers are over and the heads are now drying.


We also gave the chicken coop a deep clean by removing the sawdust, washing down, sprinkling Diatomaceous Earth and then replacing with fresh saw dust. My sister put us onto this deep bed method and it has really worked.



This coming season still needs a lot of planning but I really really want to try to grow garlic this year. In anticipation of that I ordered pink and white garlic from Living Seeds.


The kiddos have started their daily quota of 20 newspaper pots each. We need about 400 in total to start our seedlings for autumn.

Our fig tree is full of fruit and I am getting exctied thinking of what I can make with them. Jane's Delicous Kitchen has a recipe for a fig and walnut salad that I am super keen to try.


We need to have all planning done and seedling sown by mid March as my elder son and I travel to the UK to visit my sister and her family in April...I am soooooo looking forward to seeing her. I miss her so much! She has moved onto a farm since I was last there and has chickens, orchards and veggie gardens for me to admire. Can't wait!

1 comment:

Cath said...

Your carrots look amazing. Fig idea I have in my new book - stuff with chocolate, dip in batter and deep fry. Very healthy!

Hope your holiday was lovely. Would love some pics. xx