Saturday, May 8, 2010

Comfort Food

The other day I heard pasta being described as "glue paste" only useful for children's craft projects. While I must say that pasta does not have huge health benefits - I just love it! One of my favourite meals is a traditional spaghetti bolognaise.

But if I have time I love to make speciality stuffed and baked pastas. Last night I made spinach and ricotta ravioli...all I had to pay for was the flour and parmesan. What a bonus.

First step:
Cut some spinach from your spinach patch. We have bright lights this year and I love their red and yellow veins.



Rinse, chop and steam the spinach and combine with ricotta (or homemade cream cheese works just as well), a handful grated parmesan, salt, black pepper and 1 egg.



Second step:
Collect 4 eggs for your faithful chickens and make your pasta.



Third step:
Take out your prepared tomato pasta sauce from the freezer and defrost. Then heat in a pan.



Fourth step:
Make the ravioli, boil it and then serve with a generous helping of sauce and grated parmesan.



Nothing like it! Child's glue paste or not, I call it comfort food!

2 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

Oh, it sure looks like comfort food to me, too! If we only ate what was really good for us we would starve to death in a flurry of boredom! Thanks for the great recipe. :)

Best,
Lois

Tanya Murray said...

I think pasta is a long way from children's glue paste. It's such a wonderful vehicle for other flavours and really versatile. If you make your own its protein enriched. I thought you did a good job with the ravioli. I remember once I found a recipe for salmon and ricotta ravioli with kaffire lime butter dressing...total disaster! Took a long time for me to get back on that horse again!