Friday, March 18, 2011

Eating from what we have

Things have been a bit "tight" this month with unexpected expenses - 2 cars breaking down, a minor medical procedure for me, extra kids sport costs...and so they tally up.

I decided to challenge myself to only plan meals for the next two weeks from what we have in the garden, pantry and freezer.

Today for lunch I took my inspiration from Jane's Delicious Kitchen and improvised on one of her salads.

Not having gorgonzola, walnuts or lettuce, I went with haloumi, pine nuts and rocket.

On a bed of washed rocket add sliced avo, fried haloumi, toasted pinenuts, quatered figs.

The dressing was equal parts mayonaise and yoghurt with a teaspoon of sweet chilli sauce and a good handful of chopped chives.

Served with our sweetcorn it was a filling satisfying lunch.

6 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

That corn looks especially good. In a few months we will have fresh corn here, too. :)

Tuinmeisie said...

Your meal looks delicious.

Starla Mystic said...

After reading your blog posts from start to finish, I was convinced I had to have Jane's Delicious Kitchen, but was sad to see it is out of print and I could not even find it on eBay. I'll keep looking.
Everything you make always looks so yummy.

Urban Homestead South Africa said...

Hi Starla

It is not out of print - it was only released last year.

I suggest you try to get it through www.loot.co.za or www.kalahari.co.za even though these are SA online book sellers, they will ship anywhere.

A willing student said...

Hi, Wendy

I'm not sure where to put this, as this comment does not relate to any one of your postings. It relates more to your entire blog. It has been such an inspiration to me. For various reasons, I am being edged closer and closer to self sufficiency. Following what you are doing helps me a lot. I have started my little veggie patch [much smaller than yours], I have invested in some books from loot, which I have not received yet, and this morning I started my blog - http://anno-tate.blogspot.com/. Maybe I could stop by sometime and meet you? Keep posting. Your posts are helpful and fun. Thank you for all of them.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm - wonderful inspiration. Thanks Wendy - looks so yummy.
love,Karyn