Saturday, March 12, 2011

Sung to the tune of....

"What shall we do with the drunken sailor?"

What shall we do with all this basil?
What shall we do with all this basil?
What shall we do with all this basil?
Early in the morning?


Make basil pesto, oh so quickly,
Make basil pesto, oh so quickly,
Make basil pesto, oh so quickly,
Easy easy easy!

I made loads of pesto this week as I decided to pull 5 of 6 basil plants up as they seemed to be interferring with my beloved asparagus that I have been nursing for almost 3 yrs now.

I keep one big jar in the fridge and use it for toasted cheese sandwiches or for a quick pasta dinner...or even pizza!

The rest I freeze in iceblock trays and then place individual blocks into ziploc bags and keep frozen. I use a block here and there as I need them for recipes through the winter.

4 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

And, now you're set with basil until next year. Wonderful. :) Just being able to use what you've preserved yourself is so great. No preservatives in there, that's for sure.

Starla Mystic said...

mm...that makes me want to plant extra basil.

Urban Homestead South Africa said...

Yes, Lois, I am so thrilled that in my freezer I have 3 bags of frozen pesto, 3 pumpkin puree, 20 grated zucchini and laods of baby tomatoes. Such a blessing!

mindbodymaths said...

Thank you! Have held back on pesto making, as it doesn't last too long in the fridge.

No more wasted basil, fantastic!