Monday, August 3, 2009

Carboard box redemption...and seedlings!

I know that my planting ticker on the right column tells the countdown to planting season, but I like to force early germination in my son's homemade hotbox.

A few weeks back I started some asparagus seeds and they needed to be repotted. I mixed some worm compost and soil and repotted them. Then those cardboard boxes from the takeouts on Saturday found a job. I move the seedlings in and out with the weather and sun, so the pots can all nestle inside the boxes for easy moving.



I also received my heirloom seeds this week from wwww.livingseeds.co.za and planted my peppers (blonde, malawi, jalapeno, black) and my Carbon (black) tomatoes.



These also found a home in a big box from my last veggie delivery so that they can be moved in and out.

Hopefully they will germinate and grow big enough for planting in 49...48...47 days!

2 comments:

Tara_LB said...

Congratulations on your seed starting. I've got all mine plonked down on the dining room table next to the sunniest window in the house :) You should look at www.myfolia.com if you like keeping track of your planting and growing things! I've registered there-you're welcome to add me as a buddy if you like?

Urban Homestead South Africa said...

Hi there!

That looks like fun, but I fear time is short to join another gardening "forum".

What do you have growing?