Sunday, October 4, 2009

Beautiful Borage

Around my garden I have lots of borage growing. There were a few reasons for planting so much of it. The first is that bees love borage flowers...and the second is that I think they produce the most beautiful flowers.



The other reason is that the borage leaves, when spent, are a great accelerator for compost heaps.

And yet another reason is that they are one of the best companion herbs for strawberries.



Yesterday my daughter made cheese cake from some of my cream cheese and we decorated each slice with borage flowers.

They are completely edible as are the leaves, well, if you can get past the spikes! They can be cut finely and added to cream cheese to go onto crackers or even batterred and deep fried. We haven't tried that yet!

Either way I love having their beautiful dancing flowers in my garden.

1 comment:

Peggy said...

I planted borage from seed in a couple of spots in my raised vegetable beds this year and though it took awhile to take off, once it did it really took off. And I was amazed at the number of bees on the flowers at any given time.

That cheesecake looks wonderful!