Monday, October 5, 2009

Memories of my grandma

One of the things I regret most in life is that I never got to know my Grandma more than I did. She was always there in my memories but I think being the child I was I kept her at arms length.

However as mom with my own children now I think of her more and more. Little things will remind me of her. How she used to make toffee with me, how she used to grow geraniums and her lemon curd.

Yesterday we had an over abundance of eggs as our new girls are laying aswell and 6 a day is more than we eat. So I decided to make my grandma's lemon curd. It's such a simple recipe, maybe a bit fattening and has too much sugar, but it is truly delicious! The nice thing with this recipe is that it uses the whole egg not just the yolks.

You need:

The juice and rind of 1 orange and 6 lemons
3 and a half cups of sugar
8 eggs well beaten
500 g of butter cut into blocks

Melt all of this in a double boiler until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.



Pour into sterilized bottles.



We ate some on our toast for breakfast, I sneak a spoon of it here and there, or you can use it as a filling for lemon meringue pie.

Like I said: "Delicious".

2 comments:

Laurie Neverman, The Common Sense Woman said...

Lovely! All I remember of my mother's mother is her yellow raspberries and her geese - she died when I was very young. Now I grow yellow raspberries (and hopefully will eventually have geese).

My father's mother loved strawberries. She'd pick them at the first blush of red and bring them inside to ripen so the birds wouldn't get them. We used to eat them in a bowl with a sprinkle of sugar and a little milk.

I recently got my grandmother's handwritten recipe books from my mom, so hopefully this winter when things quiet down I can start working my way through them and see what interesting things I find.

Urban Homestead South Africa said...

How lovely Laurie, thanks for sharing your memories with me.