Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I'm so happy, oh so happy!

When my children were very little (3 and 1) we moved into a small home so that I could stay at home with them and not worry about high overheads from mortgages and other payments.

The house we moved into had a guava tree and a granadilla vine. My earliest memories of my son as a toddler was him sitting under the vine and biting the tops of the granadilla's off, sucking out the inside and then discarding the shell.

When I planned this garden in June 2008 one of the first things I did was make sure there was space for the vines. We planted 4 in between the raised beds.



The first two died, and were replaced this year. However the ones at the end have now filled the trellis and are climbing the top one.

Yesterday when I was watering the strawberry baskets, I found this peeping out at me....



Obviously I then searched the vine for evidence of more of the passion flowers and lo and behold did the happy dance because there must be at least 30 of them.

According to my veggie book, I need to increase the watering until the fruit is set to make sure they don't drop off...but either way...I am happy, oh so happy!

2 comments:

Laurie Neverman, The Common Sense Woman said...

Good luck! I remember my boys as toddlers grazing their way around the yard. We had cherries, plums, apples, raspberries, currants, grapes and a vegetable garden. They were so cute. They still enjoy homegrown treats, but now they brag about the work THEY did to grow and harvest them. ;-) (They are getting to be pretty good helpers. :^).

Urban Homestead South Africa said...

LoL, Laurie, my daughter reminded me today that my son (the granadilla eater) also found snails a tasty tidbit!!!!