Sunday, January 17, 2010

Early in the morning....

With summer in full swing we have to work in the garden early in the morning to avoid the heat. At 6 a.m. the garden has its fresh look and it is my favorite time to peep under leaves to see what is growing. This morning I found...

Chillies...



Sweet potatoes having recovered from a brutal overhaul by the chickens....



Our Ghost-Rider pumpkin which we planted in the compost heap in November...



We then dug out one batch of potatoes which should do us for 2 weeks and planted cabbage in their place. The radishes that we planted last week are up.



Broccoli and cauliflower went into the other free bed.



I pulled the last carrots (will have to plant more soon!), picked the prolific beans and all these cucumbers....



By 9 am we were done, but there was still weeding to be done, the sun was too hot, so we called it a day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jill said...

Oooooh! I can't wait to get my hands in the soil this summer! Your pictures make me so hungry to garden! How hot does your summer get?

Urban Homestead South Africa said...

Hi Jill

We get up to about 34 on the worst days...normally in the mid 20's (Celsius)

Kimmie said...

We are in the thick of winter here (CT)...how lovely to look at your warm soil and growing delights.

I popped over from Genesis' blog...so glad I did.

off to read more posts...nice to meet you!

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted
*expecting again from Ethiopia

Urban Homestead South Africa said...

Hi Kimmie

Nice to have you over at my blog.