Saturday, December 12, 2009

Mean, mean mom and her strawberry jam!

This week I have been a mean mean mom! I always allow the children to pick & eat strawberries right off the plant as they ripen as we have had so many in the past. But this week I placed a ban on this activity :-) I had other plans for those strawberries.

We managed to collect just under 1.6kgs in the week which I stored in the fridge until yesterday so that I could make some jam.



I thought of buying organic unrefined sugar for the jam making, but the price was ridiculous so I went with normal sugar. You need 1.3kg's strawberries, juice of 3 lemons and 1.3kg's sugar (I used less and my jam was still sweet and set well).



Clean and hull berries and place in a pot with the lemon juice. cook for about 10 minutes until the berries are soft. Add the sugar and then stir on a lowish heat.



Sterilize your jars by washing them in soapy water and placing in the hot oven for about 5 minutes.



Test the jam after about20 minutes for setting by placing a dollop on a cooled side plate and then placing in the fridge. Remove after about 2 minutes and push it with your finger to see if the skin on the jam wrinkles. If it does, it is ready.

Allow to cool slightly and then use a funnel to pour into your jars. I have a hunger for croissants, butter and jam for breakfast!



My daughter made some lemon curd at the same time for Christmas gifts...I think I may steal a bottle for us!

No comments: