Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Permacutlture at Hilltop Farm

While away I connected with a friend who moved to this area about 18 months ago to live on a rented farm. What a pleasure to see their lifestyles and how they are doing.

I had to do some soul searching about what I saw as it has long been my dream to live on a farm close to the city, but honestly can say that as wonderful this farm they have is, I am perfectly content with where I find myself.

However, always learning my friend shared how they have planned their garden around the permaculture principles. I have read a bit about it but have found with my limited space we had to take another route...hey, but it's all good!

The view from the top of the hill.



Her sons look after the 8 goats. They make the most yummy goats milk cheese and sell the milk at the health shop in town.





They have 3 hives set up which they are still baiting, so far no-one has taken up residence.



Their chickens are housed in domes which are moved around. They start and finish off the veggie beds - first by digging over and manuring the beds and then when the harvest is done they get to eat what remains.



She also makes up salad packs for the shop from the lettuce as they have an abundance of leaves.



We picked some vegetables for lunch...doesn't this look just perfect?

1 comment:

Dalyn said...

what a wonderful farmstead! I love your blog and am blessed by the pictures. If I lived where you do, I would visit Angus Buchan. Have you heard of him? Faith LIke Potatoes movie and book? Shalom Ministries? He lives on Shalom farm in Greytown.
Anyway- again, I love your blog!